*deep breath* I am trying a new thing, please bear with me.
Do you want me to write about how to make SFF more inclusive to migrants?
Do you also want to save me from having to convince people they are not inclusive enough, one by one?
I have been there and done that, over and over and over, for years.
Now you can quickly crowdfund my detailed essay and how-to post!
Also occasionally how-not-to post, to be honest. 😀
How am I doing this?
This is going to be very simple. You send me money via Paypal to writing at prezzey dot net.
You can send it directly, but here is also a cool button for it with social network features and the ability to squee – click and try, it’s fun:
Once I reach $150, I will write and post the essay / howto. You can send me any amount of money and I’ll tally them up. $1 is totally fine. You get the bonus ebooks if you send $5 or more, see below!
For your contribution, you will:
- Get the essay – if this funds (G-d willing), it will be posted in public, so the entire SFF field gets the essay! It will be long and detailed, because I cannot shut up. 😀 It will be Creative Commons licensed for easy dissemination.
- Get it dedicated to you – all supporters will be listed right above the essay! (Please put the name that you prefer if it’s not the same as on your Paypal account! If you wish to remain anonymous, please state that explicitly.)
- If you give $5+, you get a bundle of ebooks I’m currently offering for my $2/month and above Patreon backers (DRM-free mobi and epub). A lot – but not all – of this stuff is available for free, but not in a nice ereader format.
- If you give $5+, you will also get advance access to my March diverse book buying guide. It will be similar to the January and February ones, except longer because March will be an AMAZING month. I haven’t written it yet, but will probably write it next week. I can help you plan out your preorders and library holds 😀
Why am I doing this?
For me, talking about migration is not only emotionally fraught, it is also politically risky. I have a provisional green card up for renewal in 1.5 years.
I have been talking about migration in SFF for many years. You can read this essay for a sample (originally published in Invisible 2), or follow my Twitter feed for live rants. 🙂 Charles Tan made a storify of one of my Twitter threads on migration that you can read for a sample of those, too. These were all written before the US elections.
In the planned essay, among other points I will specifically talk about how not to bait migrants into doing activism that can be dangerous to them. I see many activists do so unwittingly, and some people not so unwittingly. This essay is something I can do with a reasonable level of calculated risk, on my own time. But it is stressful. It is a lot more stressful than the usual things I do for my blog / Patreon / etc., which is why I haven’t done it before. Financial incentives work well for me 🙂
I’ll also be very blatant. I have had rather baffling interactions with multiple venues on this topic, over a period of years. Two major venues very recently. So if you think this is my extremely extended subtweet specifically about you – it is not specifically about you. This is a much wider, systemic problem. That’s exactly why I’m crowdfunding a how-to essay.
If I take money from readers, I will be my own editor. This of course does not preclude me asking other migrants to read my howto (which I will not ask for free!). But I will not be tone-policed, told not to be offensive to Americans, told that they already are buying an article on non-Westerners (which is not the same as migrants, though I am both), told that I am “insufficiently political”, told that they cannot pay me the same rates as they would to Americans, told that migrants are not a marginalized group, etc. which have all happened to me.
Now you can help turn the tide a little bit, and also I’ll be very frank with you, you can help me pay my medical bills 😉
The money will go to:
- Writing the essay / howto
- Paying $10 for everyone I’m asking to beta read it. Probably 2-3 people – migrants with backgrounds different from mine
- Food and medical bills!
- Money transfer fees (most Paypal transfers should be free, but not all?)
- Yes, I pay taxes – this is your reminder that noncitizens are also required to pay taxes (I will need to talk about that in the essay, too)
Extra money will go to extra food. If I get a LOT more, then I will come up with stretch goals and also pay beta readers more!
If I don’t reach $150 but get reasonably close, I will probably still write the essay, but make it a paid resource and not something that is openly available and CC licensed. If you donated, you will get a copy.
If I don’t get reasonably close, I will sit down on the floor and cry! Seriously, if I don’t get reasonably close, there probably won’t be an essay for now 🙁 , but then all backers will get the ebook bundle and the advance access to the March book buying guide, not just $5 and up – as I’d like to give you something for your money.
Spread the word and wish me luck! Every retweet and social media post helps! I’m not on Tumblr, so Tumblr posts especially help 😀